Pop Quiz CTL what service has 1/2 billion users? Go to the head of the class if you guessed Google Photos. Google is self declaring that this is your photo app of choice. And I agree with them for the following reasons.
- Drop dead easy to use.
- Unlimited free storage with a google account
- Sharing is a no brainer
- Making movies is very simple
- Backup is automatic.
There is a great article about Google Photos here
The Google Photos App is my Go To photo editor/storage tool. It’s easy, powerful and there is the unlimited storage hook that makes this app (IMHO) the best.
Computerworld has an excellent article and video on tips to better use the app.
You can find it here
The photo below was edited with Google Photos.
This is a popular topic for CTL subscribers since the majority of photos are now taken with a smartphone. Most smartphone have 16-32gb of storage and you can easily fill up most of that storage if you are regularly snapping photos. I use 3 redundant services.
- Google Photos -High quality unlimited storage – free – When Android 7 is released – unlimited storage
- Amazon Photos – orignial quality – unlimited storage $99 per year with other services
- Flickr $24 per year for the pro version.
The real question is which service to you feel most comfortable. Google Photos is my first choice since it has the easiest photo editing element. Good article below.
The best way to back up your Android Photos
Can you do it? If you have your Smartphone and your Flickr app than you probably can accomplish that request. I average about 200 photos shot on my smartphone a month. Now that I have no limits on storage I sometimes edit a photo and keep 5 versions of that photo.
Google will soon announce that you will have unlimited free storage ( in your original format ) for all your photos and videos. Amazon Prime Photo already offers unlimited storage for your photos.
I’m old enough to remember shooting photos on a film camera. Storing the prints in a shoebox and then never able to retrieve a photo that was more than 3 years old.
Run, don’t walk and get one of the 3 unlimited photo storage program/apps.
- Flickr – 1 tb (500,000 photos) free
- Google Photos – unlimited storage free
- Amazon Prime Photos – unlimited storage ( $99 per year but includes other valuable services)
Oregon Flowers 2001
Sherwood Oregon 2006
Olivia at Rockaway Beach 2004
I now take 100% of my photos with my Nexus 6 Smartphone. I sold my Canon DSLR last year. Having a Smartphone for your photos has the following advantages:
- Always available in your pocket or purse
- Tap to focus
- Geo tagging- always know where your pictures were taken
- HDR (High Dyanamic Range) for taking photos in the dark
- Instant sharing with friends and family
Google photos is now my app of choice because of the following:
- Search for people place and things. I can find all my grandson pics in two clicks
- Automatic backup to the Google Cloud thus saving valuable memory storage
- Fastest and simplest photo editing usually 3-4 clicks for great results
- Show photos from your Smartphone with Chromecast
- Create shared albums with 2 clicks
- Create movies and collages with 2 clicks
- Select multiple photos with a single click
The Google Photos App just received a major upgrade. The App runs on both Android and IOS. The Android version is extremely easy to use and after taking a picture there are6 steps to edit.
- Crop including an angle version
- Auto Adjust
- Light Adjustment
You can use all, some or none of the edits. After the edit you can save the photo and then share to popular sites like
Or you share the photo to another editing app. Below is a a movie of a collection of Google Photos Edited samples