Pop Quiz CTL subscribers. Which company still remains in the top 15 for the last twenty years on the Internet. If you said “Apple” then go to the head of the class. “Mary Meeker’s Internet Trends reports are the closest you’ll get to gospel”. Techcrunch does a fantastic job summarizing 197 slides here
Other notable stats are as follows:
- 5.6 hours a day time spent per adult user on the Internet
- 2.8 billion Internet Users In The World
- 2.1 Smartphone Subscribers In The World
Flickr has been my choice of photo storage and sharing since 2004. It has always been the stepchild of Yahoo until recently when Flickr offered 1 TB of free storage. Now it has changed its design and UI(User Interface) to become the premier photo sharing service. Here are the features that should convince you to make Flickr your photo storage and sharing choice.
- 1 TB of autobackup. Every picture you take automatically uploads with a private setting to Flickr
- New Phone Apps for iPhone and Android
- Redownloading – For example download all your parrot pictures from 2006 to your computer
- Camera Roll – sort photos by date, upload, tag, album, group etc.
- Instant Share Button – via link, facebook, email, twitter, etc.
- Image Recognition Groupings – By portrait, landscape, flowers, food etc. Example below
- Image Recognition Search – you can search the 11 billion photos on Flickr
I have 9200 photos stored on Flickr. Below is the Image Recognition Software Group (partial group) on Water
Below is a video demonstrating the new search facilities of Flickr 4.0
In the short screencast below I demonstrate how I find sites for my blog posts. Two of my favorite sites are:
If you’re a geek or a geek wannabe then these are great sites.
WARNING: Reading the following link (300 awesome free things) could be a timesink that you will cost you several hours. Or it may be the source of invaluable resources. I spent about 15 minutes perusing the list.
There are some very valuable resources. I found the following very helpful for me. Enjoy!
3 years ago I started Cuenca Tech Life with the aim of writing about tech and life in Cuenca, Ecuador.
So what has changed in Cuenca in 3 years
- Almost 3 times as many Expats
- Cheaper, faster and better Internet Service
- Activities galore (ie. iPad, Writers, Bridge, Poker, Crafts, Language). You name it and there is probably a group in Cuenca
- The Tranvia is 25% complete
The 3 most viewed Posts on CTL
Thanks for reading CTL and for your helpful and interesting comments.
What if Andy Warhol had it wrong, and instead of being famous for 15 minutes, we’re only anonymous for that long?
In this fantastic TED TALK, Juan Enrique talks about the serious consequences of posting in the Digital Age.
This collection of Street Art was photographed on walls and Bus Stops in the City Of Cuenca. I then used Garage Band to create the music and finally used ScreenFlow to edit the photographs into a minute video. Enjoy