In 2010 NPR’s “Talk Of The Nation” had a program called –
A Life… In Six Words
The next day I wrote the following: “Brooklyn, Oswego, Brentwood, Oregon, married Sharon”.
Here is my new one for 2018
Brooklyn, Oregon, Sharon, Ecuadorian Resident, Salmon.
Here are ones from the broadcast that I found particularly interesting.
- Found on Craigslist: table, apartment, fiance.
- Hotel sex still rocks over fifty.
- Normal person becomes psychotic on Twitter.
- Full circle: morgue tech becomes obstetrician.
- So would you believe me anyway?
- Overworked and underpaid,
Oversexed and underlaid.
What is your six word story?
It depends on what country you are in. The other day I scared a local Cuencana while walking to Supermaxi. I was racking my brain to come up with the word for two days when at that moment my brain reminded me it was “canguil” and I proudly shouted it out.
So why mention canguil? One of the proven ways to delay the onset of dementia is to learn a foreign language. Other methods are to play chess, bridge, quilt and a various other games that require critical thinking and memory recall.
I highly recommend the smartphone app “Pocket“. Besides, acting as a reservoir for your saved websites, the app suggests articles that may interest you based on your web browsing history.
Here was interesting article that I found on Pocket and the catalyst for this post.
It’s a quick read and was actually very promising for all of us who live in Ecuador and struggle for the right word for popcorn.
I am usually very skeptical when I read the following words “must read article”. I started reading this with the expectation that I would be done in less than a minute. Double yowza – there are some great predictions. The following are the ones I found fascinating.
- Software will disrupt most traditional industries in the next 5-10 years.
- Autonomous cars: In 2018 the first self driving cars will appear for the public. Around 2020, the complete industry will start to be disrupted. You don’t want to own a car anymore. You will call a car with your phone, it will show up at your location and drive you to your destination. You will not need to park it, you only pay for the driven distance and can be productive while driving. Our kids will never get a driver’s licence and will never own a car.
- Last year, more solar energy was installed worldwide than fossil. Energy companies are desperately trying to limit access to the grid to prevent competition from home solar installations, but that can’t last. Technology will take care of that strategy.
- Health: The Tricorder X price will be announced this year. There are companies who will build a medical device (called the “Tricorder” from Star Trek) that works with your phone, which takes your retina scan, your blood sample and you breath into it.
- It then analyses 54 biomarkers that will identify nearly any disease. It will be cheap, so in a few years everyone on this planet will have access to world class medical analysis, nearly for free. Goodbye, medical establishment.
- If it doesn’t work with your phone, forget the idea. And any idea designed for success in the 20th century is doomed to failure in the 21st century.
It’s hard for even a geek to wrap his head around these numbers but here are just a few
- 29 million whats app messages
- 66 thousand images uploaded on Instagram
- 3.3 million facebook posts
- 3.8 million google searches
- 500 hours of video uploaded to Youtube
Here is the website (updating numbers website I retrieved the information
Pop Quiz CTL subscribers. Which company still remains in the top 15 for the last twenty years on the Internet. If you said “Apple” then go to the head of the class. “Mary Meeker’s Internet Trends reports are the closest you’ll get to gospel”. Techcrunch does a fantastic job summarizing 197 slides here
Other notable stats are as follows:
- 5.6 hours a day time spent per adult user on the Internet
- 2.8 billion Internet Users In The World
- 2.1 Smartphone Subscribers In The World
Most of these stats are mind blowing. I don’t know whether to be depressed, amazed or buy Apple Computer stock.
Created by: MBA Online