I’ve never liked the term Podcasts or Blog. Both terms produce confused looks. I would say it’s an audio or video file that you can listen on your favorite mobile device (i.e. smartphone, iPad). But podcast is the accepted term so I will use it throughout the article.
Listening to podcasts are a significant part of my day both for entertainment and learning. I use a paid app called “Pocket Casts” that runs on my Android smartphone but it’s also available for the iPhone and iPad. Everyday I listen to the following podcasts
- Marketplace – Business
- Marketplace Tech – Duh
- Fresh Air – Terry Gross – Interviews with world personalities
- Ted Radio Hour – Talks by Interesting people on business and tech
The following podcasts are on once a week and are mostly to keep on my tech knowledge.
- iPad Today
- Android App Addicts
- The Podcast Report
What are your favorite podcasts?
I found this great link on medium.com. The article breaks up the 37 websites into the following categories.
- Take An Online Course
- Learn How To Code
- Learn To Work With Data
- Learn New Languages
- Expand Your Knowledge
I found 7 new sites that interested me. I also had looked and was/am using 12 of the sites (i.e. duolingo, Udemy, TED, lynda.com). Definitely worth a look
Photo Fans – The Online Archive Of Leica Photography Magazines is now available.
Black Friday In July – Amazon Prime Members – Celebrate the 20th anniversary of Amazon with great bargains including $20 off an Amazon Prime Membership Wednesday July 15th
Best Photo Editing Apps On Android – 12 apps
Do you have an iPhone, iPad, Android Phone or Tablet? Do you want to take better photos/videos and be able to edit and present them?
Then this is the course for you.
What you will gain in this course:
- Will become better acquainted with your equipment
- Will learn how to better frame your photos.
- Will practice basic editing techniques
- Will learn how to shoot and edit basic video
- Will gain understanding of different presentation methods
- Will make and share your presentation in class
- Will acquire info to store your presentations
When: July 28th
Where: Los Alamos 3-66 y 3 de Noviembre
Time: 1:30 – 4:30 pm
Course limited to 6 students
You will need a fully charged smart phone for this course.
More info: email@example.com /099 122 1238
What does the creator of Blogger and Twitter do for an encore. He creates Medium.com According to the founders “Medium is a new place on the Internet where people share ideas and stories that are longer than 140 characters and not just for friends”.
I have never been a big fan of Twitter. The number one reason is that 140 characters is terribly limiting for me.
I’m just starting to use Medium and its already addicting. Why? It combines two of my passions.
I am mainly using Medium on my Smartphone. Medium is available on both the Android and IOS platforms. I haven’t started publishing yet but am finding the search facility fascinating. More to come as I gain more experience with Medium.
Last year I posted my 2014 TV watching experiences. This year I have added the Amazon TV Fire Streaming Box to the Roku 3 (1st ed.) and the Apple TV (720p). Below are some of the additional benefits from last year
- Amazon Fire TV has a dynamic voice search and phone app to search and control your TV
- Amazon Prime continues to add original production (Transparent) and added HBO series
- Netflix also produces original productions (House of Cards, Orange Is The New Black)
- HBO NOW is available for the Apple TV and shortly for the other two streaming devices. Well worth the $14.99 monthly subscription
- The new Roku 3 has a voice search and has the most add channels of the 3 streaming boxes.
So which is the best box? If I were to advise you on one box it would be the new Roku 3 with voice search. Why? The Roku 3 has the most channels including Amazon Prime. If your budget is flexible and you have the HDMI ports for the other two I would definitely purchase them.
- Fire TV has the best voice search and the most memory
- Apple TV has Airplay to easily project your IOS device to your TV
There are also stick versions of the Fire TV and Roku available
- The Apple TV (1080p) is now $69
- The Fire TV is $99
- Fire TV stick (limited memory and expansion) $39
- Roku Stick(limited memory and expansion) is $49.99