It’s no secret that I like to take photos. I now take all my shots using my Nexus 6 smartphone. My go to app is Google Photos. Today I found an exceptional post by the Verge
There are a lot of great takeaways. The three best for me are the following:
- SEARCH IS THE KILLER FEATURE
- FREE UP STORAGE ON YOUR PHONE
- SHARED ALBUMS
What else do you do with Google Photos?
2016 Google Year In Search Video
Another great video production. I would love to spend some time with the very talented video editors. Take 15 minutes out of your day to see 2011 -2015.
Pop Quiz CTL Subscribers. Do you know the subjects you searched for in Google. How about images, finance, news or maps.Well now you can not only find those subjects but delete them if you think it might prove embarrassing. You can find all this information including the device you searched with by going to myactivity.google.com. Here are some of my results:
- Today at 3:25 pmJ I was on Facebook on my desktop computer and viewed Researchbuzz.me
- June 19th I downloaded the Alexa App on my Nexus phone
- May 30th I searched for the Cuenca temperature on my iPad
- Last year on my birthday I searched for the term “disruptive technology” 5 times using my computer
While you’re using Google statistics go to myaccount.google.com and check the following
- Security Checkup
- What apps have access to your account
- Google Drive storage
- Backup emails and phone
Below is a screen capture of some of the apps that have access to my Google Data. Notice the App Streak which somehow has access to more data than I am comfortable with. I deleted the access of the app.
Devote 3o minutes to peruse myactivity.google.com and myaccount.google.com you will be informed and surprised.
I’m a big fan of using “Ok Google” which is a voice activated command to instruct your Android Phone or Table to execute a command. It also works on iPhones and iPads using the Google App.
Last year in August I reviewed some Google Now Commands On average, I use “OK Google 6 times a day. Here are some of my typical Google Now Commands in the last day
- What time is the next NBA Finals Game
- Show me my last 10 messages
- Call my wife
- Create a calendar event
- How do you say “sometimes” in Spanish
- How far is it from my house to Cuenca Sunrise Cafe
You can see the complete list of commands here
I’m a big fan of Google Calendar. I use it on my computer, iPad and Smartphone.
This easy to read article tells you how you can expand your use of Google Calendar. My favorites are the following:
- Work toward your goals
- Keep your family insync
- Meal planning
- Share travel information
The quintessential question among Smartphone Users :”Is the iPhone platform superior to that of the Android system? Having used both platforms I can say I prefer the Android operating system. I find it easier to customize and Android has some features the iPhone is lacking. Below are some of them.
- Better Battery Stats And More Efficient Battery Saver
- More information from the home button. – Marshmallow’s Now on Tap tries to solve this issue by offering related information and links, based on its understanding of your texts.
- Back up unlimited photos using Google Photos – My favorite option
- Voice search without unlocking your phone
- Lost your phone – Google it
- Access your phone on a friend’s phone
A very good article and these hidden features and more at this link
It seems I always need more storage with several email accounts and a huge photo and video collection. Google is offering 2 gb of free storage by doing a routine security check on your google account settings. The check takes about 2 minutes to complete and is actually very helpful. I found that several apps and games had access to my Google setting. I quickly eliminated those privileges.