TIE (This Is Ecuador) is my goto acronym to describe an event that is unique to living in an unfamiliar culture. Watching TV in Ecuador provides some interesting challenges.
In 7 years we have experienced the following:
- TV Cable
- Streaming Boxes (Fire TV, Roku, Apple TV)
I am aware there are Kodi like applications but I choose not to use them because of the constant changes.
My family now uses the streaming box solution mainly watching movies and TV Shows on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
Just Watch is an app that runs on Android and IOS. Basically you can search for a movie or TV program and find out if it is available on all the popular steaming services or where you can rent it. Easy Pezzy.
The apps you use the most should be on your first screen. Here are 7 apps I use everyday.
- Gmail – a business and personal account
- WhatsApp – my goto messaging app
- Camera & Photos- Duh
- Translate- An absolute necessity living in a foreign country
- Google Keep – My notebook of important informaton
- Phone- Duh
- Amazon Music – unlimited songs with my Prime Account
My first screen (see graphic below ) consists of 25 apps that I use everyday. What are some of your apps.
BTW, if you want to order salmon or want to know the next selling location you can click on Cuenca Salmon
The Samsung Note 8 unlocked base price is $$940 and the rumored price for the iPhone 8 is $1000. Some of the readers of this blog will be purchasing their new iPhone with a Carrier’s subsidy when they renew their cellular plan. I have a cellular plan through Claro but only pay 1/4 of what I would in the U.S.
I think I will be holding on to my 3 year old Nexus Smartphone another year.
Ok, Flashback Friday is a day early. Last year at this time I discovered
Prisma – a fantastic photo editing app for IOS and Android
This is the link to last year’s review
A year later Prisma has rave reviews and numerous awards. They have also added many more filters to an already stellar collection. Run, don’t walk to download Prisma to your phone or tablet. My only criticism is that you can’t enlarge any of the photos because of the low resolution. I would happily pay extra for a pro version that included high res printing.
What are your thoughts?
I had the pleasure this morning of having coffee with Mario Navas, the developer of EC Taximetro.
Basically, EC Taximetro is an app for IOS and Android that calculates the taxi fare in Cuenca and other places to see if you are being scammed by a tampered taxi meter.
Although the app is entirely in Spanish you can use it with minimal Spanish. The biggest problem is remembering to start the app when you immediately enter the taxi.
Ok, so what do you do if you’re being scammed. You have 3 options.
- Do nothing
- Show the taxista the app and argue
- Get the number of the taxi and there is a denuncio form that will go directly to the Taxi authority in the municipality.
Personally, I would recommend the last option.
Ec Taximetro an easy to use app that accomplishes its goal. Run, don’t walk to download this free app.
It is has been 8 months since I started using the Prisma Photo Editing App. The number of effects have grown to 44. As I mentioned in my first review –
WARNING!, WARNING! Do not load Prisma Photo App if you have an immediate appointment because you’re going to be immediately addicted to this great photo filter editor. This app could not be simpler.
- Load your photo
- Choose your filter
- Adjust the intensity
The app is free and runs on IOS and Android. My only complaint is that the saved edited photos does not have enough resolution to print these fantastic works of art.
Email me your favorite Prisma photo and I”ll put it up on my next post.
Below are 4 of my favorites
Thank you Cuenca Tech Life subscribers for challenging me to keep this blog an interesting time in my life and perhaps providing you with some interesting tech observations and predictions.
So what has changed since last year:
- Only an educated guess but I think Cuenca now has about 7K expats
- Smartphones continues to be the number one subject followed by photos
- Fiber Optic is now cheaper than ever 50 mps for $60
- The Tranvia is now 85% complete only a 23% increase since last year and predicted to open in Oct 2017 almost 2 years behind schedule
- Ecuador will elect a new president today
- I now am officially a Fish Monger and you can see more of my product offering at this link
- Google and Amazon introduced their new smart speakers (Google Home and Echo) and I predict they will be the next paradigm shift in technology. There are more than 13 million of these products in homes as of this writing.
The three most viewed posts are as follows:
Thank you again for viewing Cuenca Tech Life.