The whole idea of creating a brand is that the title should be memorable. Well, the Plonked – Business Search Engine hit the target. I am in the very early stages of exploring the possibilities of this site. Take a look what CNET has to say about Plonk. Worth a look.
I would be interested in what you think of Plonked
It’s no secret DuckDuckgo is my search engine of choice. If you search the archives of CTL you will see that I’ve written about this “secret of search” 4 times. Of course the most important reason is that DDG does not track your searches like Google.
Hongkiat writes a fantastic article 10 Reasons Why You Should Use DuckDuckGo – a must read
I love to watch movies. I love to watch movies that are included in my subscription services (Netflix, Apple TV, Amazon Prime, Roku).
Just Watch is a streaming search engine for movies only that finds where that movie is located. For example I wanted to view “Lawrence Of Arabia”. Below is the result I got back from Just Watch
I searched for “Hutch” this time and the results are below.
Run, don’t walk to get this powerful search engine.
Digital Inspiration is one of my favorite sites for interesting and time saving geek stuff. On Oct 10th he posted 10 urls that every Google User should know. They are all interesting but my two favorite were location and search history. It’s a little creepy and you can turn off permissions but below is my walking data from Nov.6th.
My guess is most readers use the Google Search Engine. This link will show you 10 very interesting Google Features. The three below are my favorites.
- Google Flight Search – I quickly found the cheapest flight and went to Orbitz to book the Senior Fare.
- Atari Breakout – I am not a big gamer but this game brought back memories from when I first started using a computer.
- Conversions – just type in your two variables
The whole list is worth a long look
In a previous post I advocated what Electronics one should have when moving to Ecuador. Solid Software always makes great Hardware. I make no secret that I’m an Apple Fan. Life would be difficult in Cuenca without my computer, iPad and iPhone. I’m going to restrict my recommendations to web resources and apps that run on the Mac/PC/IOS/Android platforms. Please feel free to comment and add your own “must have resources”.
1.Skype – I don’ think this is surprise. Skype allows me to communicate via video and audio to anyone in the world with a Skype account. It’s free and easy to use. You can also purchase Skype minutes to communicate with people who don’t have Skype accounts but have land lines or cell phones. Facetime is similar to Skype but is only for Mac/IOS users.
2. Multiple Email accounts. Email is the most used resource of the Internet and I’m surprised that people I talk to don’t have at least two accounts. I have three (Gmail, Yahoo, Icloud). I use Gmail as my main and Yahoo as my challenge account. I use icloud as my account for email lists and subscription that I don’t need to access on a daily basis. The added advantage to Google is that it comes with 15 gb of storage.
3. Multiple Web Browsers. My primary browser is Google Chrome. I use Chrome because it provides instant translation for the many Spanish sites that I visit. I also use Firfox and Safari. All three of these are solid browsers but I think Chrome is faster and uses less memory.
4. Zite. You can skip this recommendation if you don’t have a smartphone or a tablet. Zite is available in the Itunes, Google Play and Amazon appstore. Simple stated you can create your own magazine and daily stories will be appear on your device. I get stories from the L.A. Times, Canon, Ecuador, Colombia and a heads up on apps that have gone free. Run, don’t walk to this free app.
5. Search Engines– Surprise, I am not going to recommend Google. Not that there is anything wrong with Google other than everyone of your searches are tracked. My recommendation DuckDuckGo.com. Funny name but a great search engine. I reviewed Duckduckgo here
I’ll add 5 more resources in few days. I look forward to your recommendations and comments.
I have been browsing some of my favorite sites and found these gems. Some are time sensitive.
Many of the above findings come from my very favorite site Research Buzz