In April I returned to Oregon for 2 weeks and was amazed at the ubiquity of WiFi in Portland. Besides WiFi being everywhere, the speed of my Internet connection was much faster. The very good news in Cuenca, Ecuador is that the Internet speed is getting faster, the cost for the connection is getting cheaper and there are more Wifi hot spots than ever before. Gringos Abroad just did a comprehensive review of Internet connections in Ecuador . First rate research and very accurate.
I can only speak of my Internet connections in Cuenca. As mentioned in another section of this blog – there are 4 major providers – ETAPA, TV CABLE, PUNTONET AND CENTRONET. I have used all 4 services and my #1 preference is TV CABLE. Internet speed and connection is still a neighborhood by neighborhood issue. Some buildings are not wired for TV CABLE and some ETAPA connections have very old wiring. My suggestion for newcomers is to ask around and read the different forums and don’t be bashful to ask lots of questions.
For me, my Internet connection is my lifeline to my family and friends and fast dependable connections are a must. For a map of WiFi connections in Cuenca – Click here
I transferred this post from the defunct Cuenca Daily News Blog. Please feel free to email me at email@example.com with your suggestion. Only include places that are free. I’ll start and update this list as I receive your emails. I’m also going to make a map.
- Banana’s Cafe – Calle Larga y Benigno Malo
- California Kitchen – Luis Cordero y Honorato Vasquez
- Coffee Tree – Calle Larga y Borrero
- Windhorse Cafe – Calle Larga y Hermano Miquel
- Cafe Austria – Juan Jaramillo y Benigno Malo
- Don Colon – Mariano Cueva 9-42 y Simon Bolivar
- Inca Lounge – Avenida Tres de Noviembre y El Puente Centenario
- San Sebas Cafe – 1-94 San Sebastian y Mariscal Sucre
- Milenium Plaza, third floor, above Banco Pichincha
- ItalDeli on Alfonso Moreno Mora (2nd floor).
- Food court Mall del Rio
- Free Etapa connection at the corner of Padre Aguire y Gran Columbia
- Moca Cafe Bar on Gran Colombia y Manzaneros
- Jaleria – 3 de Noviembre y Bahada Todo Santos
- Food Court Monay Shopping Center
- Goda Restaurant in Hotel El Dorado
- Nectar – https://www.facebook.com/pages/Néctar
- Cilantro Restaurant – Juan Jaramillo y Benigno Malo
I just returned from the U.S. and brought back a Diamond Wireless Range Extender. The problem I was having before the WiFi Extender installation was that I was dropping my wifi signal between floors in the house and on opposite ends of the house where the signal had to travel between room with adobe walls.
I am happy to report that the installation went flawless and my signal strength 60 ft from the router is 90% as fast as if I was in the same room as the router. The extender was $60