For the past 3+ years my family has been using the following combination of services to make phone/video calls from Ecuador back to the U.S.
- Google Voice
The one common thread is that they all rely on Internet connectivity (VOIP) to receive and initiate the calls. I am eager to hear what others are using and I hope we can have a robust discussion on the pros and cons of each service. I would also like to include the Total Cost Of Ownership which includes hardware, taxes and subscription fees.
My strongest piece of advice is that you don’t rely on one service since Skype and Google Voice are for the most part free. I would also invite other services to be discussed like Vonnage, Ooma and Viber.
Presently, the service of choice for us is MagicJack.
- MagicJack Plus hardware is less than $40 which includes the first 6 months of unlimited phone calls to the U.S/Canada
- Plans after the first 6 months are about $25 a year
- Free and powerful apps on the iPhone, iPad, and Android Devices
- Can make calls using your cell data plan
- Voicemail also goes to your email
- Technical Help is awful
- Often difficult to renew your yearly subscription
Looking forward to hearing about what works for you and the total cost of ownership.