Just returned from the United States with the video streaming device from Amazon. First a couple of caveats and observations.
- You need an Amazon Prime Account ($99 subscription per year) to fully take advantage of the powerful features
- You need a VPN router to watch the Amazon Prime material
- Amazon automatically sets ups your streaming box so all you have to do is connect the box to your network
I already own a Roku 3 and Apple TV (720p) version. So you might be asking yourself why did I need a 3rd streaming device?. The short answer is that the voice command is not available on my other two devices and the Fire TV manages my Prime membership with watchlists and voice commands much better than the Roku device. The long answer will be coming shortly when I compare the Roku, Apple TV and Fire TV.
It has only been 3 days of Fire TV use but here are my first impressions.
- Amazingly fast
- Voice command works almost all the time
- My Amazon photo and music collection is instantly available
- More apps than the other two boxes
- Not as many channels as Roku
- HBO Now is presently unavailable
Full review and comparison coming shortly.