Move over Skype there is a new sheriff in town. Google just announced it’s Video Messenger Service. Unlike Facetime Google works with both IOS and Android. Since it is connected to your phone there is no need to have the app on or be near a wifi setting. I briefly experimented with it with two friends and had good results. Let me know about your experience. Easily downloaded for free at the Google Play Store or The Apple App Store.
Prisma runs on both IOS and Android and for the last 4 days I have spent about 30 hours messing with the app. Do not even think of downloading the app if you have an important deadline due. But, if you have some free time and want to be creative then run, don’t walk to Prisma and download the app.
I created a youtube video below to show the transformation from original to the prisma effect. Enjoy.
Alexa is Amazon’s answer to Siri the voice command assistant for your digitally connected devices. I have Alexa running on my Nexus Smartphone and recently they added the capability to my Amazon Fire TV. So now I can use my remote or smartphone and say the following to the TV and have the answers, video, music etc. displayed on my big screen HDTV. You can also use Alexa on iPads and iPhones.
- Play a song in my Amazon Library
- Launch a movie from Netflix
- What’s on my calendar or to do list
- Play a favorite music or news station from any radio station in the world
- Read the next chapter from my Kindle book
- What’s my flash briefing from NPR News
- Re-order physical products you previously purchased on the Amazon website.
- Ask Alexa to find and read information from Wikipedia
- Tell me a joke – What do you call a Grizzly with no teeth (Ans. a gummy bear)
- Alexa Skills -turn on skills that allow your device to tell you about upcoming concerts in your city or play math games with you.
Can you do it? If you have your Smartphone and your Flickr app than you probably can accomplish that request. I average about 200 photos shot on my smartphone a month. Now that I have no limits on storage I sometimes edit a photo and keep 5 versions of that photo.
Google will soon announce that you will have unlimited free storage ( in your original format ) for all your photos and videos. Amazon Prime Photo already offers unlimited storage for your photos.
I’m old enough to remember shooting photos on a film camera. Storing the prints in a shoebox and then never able to retrieve a photo that was more than 3 years old.
Run, don’t walk and get one of the 3 unlimited photo storage program/apps.
- Flickr – 1 tb (500,000 photos) free
- Google Photos – unlimited storage free
- Amazon Prime Photos – unlimited storage ( $99 per year but includes other valuable services)
Oregon Flowers 2001
Sherwood Oregon 2006
Olivia at Rockaway Beach 2004
I’m a big fan of using “Ok Google” which is a voice activated command to instruct your Android Phone or Table to execute a command. It also works on iPhones and iPads using the Google App.
Last year in August I reviewed some Google Now Commands On average, I use “OK Google 6 times a day. Here are some of my typical Google Now Commands in the last day
- What time is the next NBA Finals Game
- Show me my last 10 messages
- Call my wife
- Create a calendar event
- How do you say “sometimes” in Spanish
- How far is it from my house to Cuenca Sunrise Cafe
You can see the complete list of commands here
I am addicted to my Smartphone. I’m probably on it too much but it’s one tool I really can’t live without. Here are 5 apps I think you should have on your phone. Have any to suggest to the Cuenca Tech Life audience? All the apps below are free.
- What’s App – Call anywhere in the world without charge . Group messaging and an easy to use interface make this Facebook owned app a must have.
- Merlin – receive unusual but factual information daily that can improve your knowledge and intellect.
- Hopper – receive weekly notices of travel bargains. Hopper will tell you whether the fares are going to fluctuate
- NPR ONE – Live news from my favorite radio station. I’m tuned in to OPB my local NPR station
- Walt Disney Crossy – All work and no play make … Modern day Frogger with Mickey Mouse as the Frog.
4 years ago I shot the video below with my Canon HD Vixia Camcorder. Now the camcorder gathers dust in my closet since I shoot all my videos with my Nexus 6 smartphone with 4K resolution. Never miss a photo or a video because my smartphone is always in my pocket.
Please take 10 seconds and take the poll. Enjoy the video