In November 2017 I stated I was addicted to my smartphone and promised to report back on my progress. I loaded two apps to record my smartphone usage and I was shocked on how much time I spent on the device.
Some days my usage exceeded 3 hours.
I noticed the following patterns that I have since corrected.
- When in the house I no longer look at the phone for the time. I either use a clock or ask Alexa
- I have removed the Facebook and other social media apps from my phone
- I have removed all notifications
- The phone is no longer on my night stand when I go to bed
- I have set aside 3 times a day to answer email. No more answering email on demand
- I use remote controls rather than my smartphone to control the TV.
- I am very aware that when I am bored I go to the smartphone.
My usage is still over an 90 minutes a day. I’m seriously thinking about a no digital day and only answer the phone when someone calls. In another 3 months I will report back on the changes in my smartphone usage.
The following article is a must read for anyone thinking about cutting down their smartphone usage.