Last year at this time I wrote on article on this subject. So what has changed in a year? There are now 4 main legal streaming boxes:
- Apple TV – Now in its 4th edition with voice control
- Roku – Now in its 4th edition also with voice control
- Amazon Fire TV – Now in its second edition with Alexa voice control
- Android TV – The Google version with limited apps
There is a 5th alternative and its called KODI . First let me say that I don’t object to the non legal status of KODI since I often purchase bootleg DVD’s in Cuenca. Let me also state that I have limited knowledge of KODI. I do know in Cuenca there are KODI groups and some individuals that will handle the installation and support. There are some safety concerns using KODI and this article does a good job of explaining it
The following are some paid subscriptions that are available to stream on the above boxes.
- Netflix – Note the North American version is not longer available
- Amazon Prime – No available on Apple TV
- HBO Now
There is also DirecTV. 5 years ago I tried the service for 6 months. My experience was that it was expensive $40 + per month was limited in the quality of English programming.
- Puntonet 50 mb fiber optic service $60 per month +
- Amazon Prime – $8 per month *
- HBO – $15 per month
- Strong VPN $7 per month*
Note: * denotes other uses besides watching TV