Last year I posted my 2014 TV watching experiences. This year I have added the Amazon TV Fire Streaming Box to the Roku 3 (1st ed.) and the Apple TV (720p). Below are some of the additional benefits from last year
- Amazon Fire TV has a dynamic voice search and phone app to search and control your TV
- Amazon Prime continues to add original production (Transparent) and added HBO series
- Netflix also produces original productions (House of Cards, Orange Is The New Black)
- HBO NOW is available for the Apple TV and shortly for the other two streaming devices. Well worth the $14.99 monthly subscription
- The new Roku 3 has a voice search and has the most add channels of the 3 streaming boxes.
So which is the best box? If I were to advise you on one box it would be the new Roku 3 with voice search. Why? The Roku 3 has the most channels including Amazon Prime. If your budget is flexible and you have the HDMI ports for the other two I would definitely purchase them.
- Fire TV has the best voice search and the most memory
- Apple TV has Airplay to easily project your IOS device to your TV
There are also stick versions of the Fire TV and Roku available
- The Apple TV (1080p) is now $69
- The Fire TV is $99
- Fire TV stick (limited memory and expansion) $39
- Roku Stick(limited memory and expansion) is $49.99