Learning Spanish is essential to living in Ecuador. When we first arrive in Ecuador we go through stages.
- Little or no Spanish and dependent on translators or Spanish speaking friends.
- Restaurant/Taxi Spanish. We know some directions and how to order food
- Baby Spanish – we can get around but we get strange looks
- Pre- Conversant Spanish – We still get strange looks but most of our conversation makes sense
- Conversant Spanish – We have our favorite verbs and in Cuenca use “dolarito” and cafecito”
I take Spanish lessons from a very competent teacher. She comes to your home and customizes the lessons for your level. I take lessons twice a week and I can now go to the IESS appointments without a translator. I shop at the Indigenous Organic Markets and can recognize all the different fruits and vegetables. I can also go to utility companies and find solution to problems.
My teacher is Linda Astudillo. Her contact information.
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone – 097 9072715
Linda understands most English but is mostly Spanish speaking. Her rates are $10 an hour for private lessons and has a sliding scale for couples or groups.