Last month I sold my iPhone 4s and purchased a Nexus 5 (Android phone manufactured by LG). It was a difficult decision for me to give up my iPhone and to purchase what many experts (including most of my friends ) perceive to be an inferior phone. I am here to say that after a month of using the Nexus 5 I can say that it is a superb phone. I still miss the intuitive Apple IOS but feature for feature the Nexus 5 is superior. My need for a bigger screen and a lower price prompted me to switch phones. The Nexus 5 is $350 unlocked compared to $650 for an unlocked iPhone 5s.
My purpose in writing this post was not to start a polemic on which phone is better but to review the updated benefits for having a smartphone in Cuenca. You can read my first posting here
Most importantly the reception on a smartphone is superior to your average consumer phone.
Here are the additional benefits:
- Google Now the Voice Activated Assistant is extremely intuitive. The results included driving directions to what I needed to find
- NFC (near field communications) Presently not on the iPhone which let me pay for merchandise (In the U.S) by tapping my phone at checkout. *Not in Cuenca*
- Magic Jack App- Let me receive and answer calls from anywhere
- Superb camera that shoots great videos and syncs with all photo cloud storage.
- Amazon Music – millions of free songs streamed to your phone. More later about this service in a future post.
- Dialer that is intuitive using Google maps to find 411 information.
- Netflix, Amazon Video, Kindle are there for my entertainment and reading.
- Pure android so it seamlessly connects to all the Google properties (Maps, Youtube, Google Drive)
The bottom line is that if you need the Internet in your pocket in your pocket or your purse than a smartphone is a must have device.