Full disclosure. All my family devices are Apple (Macbook, iPad, iPhone, iPod). I also worked for Apple many years ago and finally my television viewing is in Ecuador. If you have enough ports on your HDTV and the budget to connect both devices I think you should purchase both boxes. The total cost is less than $200 and you will surely get at least 3 years use out of both boxes giving a per month cost of about $5. Plus the Apple TV Box has the benefit of connecting all your devices without wires via Airplay.
The next statement is going to surprise most people who know me but if you only have a Windows machine or Android tablet then I suggest you buy only the Roku Box. Here are my reasons.
- Many more channels (Amazon Video, Blockbuster, PBS, CBS News etc) to view via Roku
- Better UI( User Interface) and Remote than Apple TV
- On the Roku 3 you have the ability to mute the TV and listen on Headphones connected to the Remote
- Free online support via the Roku website
- Ability to add a usb drive for extra movie viewing
- ***MOST IMPORTANTLY – THE ROKU STREAMS VIDEO MORE EFFICIENTLY ***
Be aware that the Roku box requires a VPN router which i discussed in length at this post
Conclusion: I am thoroughly enjoying my Roku experience and am very pleased at the diverse channel selection available to me.