In April of 2012 I wrote a post about our TV services in Cuenca. A lot has changed in 18 months. We no longer have DirecTV and now our TV viewing is based on the following services.
I have installed a VPN Router. For the non geeks in the audience my VPN router came from Sabai Technology
This router basically is configured with VPN software and every time I turn my computer, iPad, iPhone or Apple TV my Internet presence is in Miami and not in Ecuador. This allows me to watch anything on the web, Netflix, Amazon, Hula etc as if I was living in the U.S. I received a great deal of help from Larry Schunk. He is a rep. for Sabai in Cuenca. I have his contact info and you can send me an email (email@example.com) for that info.
You also need to subscribe to VPN software. I use Strong VPN as my service. Good customer support and very reliable.
Summary of Costs:
- One Time Cost: VPN Router $150
- Yearly VPN subscription $90
- Monthly Netflix Subscription: $8
- Yearly Amazon Prime Subscription $70
- No configuration of VPN software
- All your devices are connected
- Full Netflix and Amazon Prime Video collection available to you >10K titles
- Watch any TV website on the Internet
- Initial Expense
- Yearly recurring fee
- Slight loss of Internet connection speed
I highly recommend this route. We watch great BBC and American TV series with no limitation.